Share this Image On Your Site
Images in an article, blog, website or any postings can bring life to it. Images are powerful communication tools for the website, as they help tell stories, elicit emotions and also help in leads and conversions. But just using images without optimizing it right, would not be of any help to your business. Hence optimizing the images is very much necessary. In fact, image optimization or Image SEO is one of the important factors of the SEO campaign of any business.
Did you know?
Size of the images can have an impact on the website’s speed. According to a source, images make 54% of the total webpage’s weight.
Site Galleria has listed some of the very important image optimization factors below so you can do Image SEO for images on your site. Have a look at it as images can be a good source of traffic from Image Search engines such as Google Image Search and etc. But before that let’s know what is Image optimization and what are the advantages of image optimization.
What is Image optimization?
Image optimization is a process of delivering the images of smallest possible file size as per the device it is being displayed, in the right format, in the right dimension, size, and resolution without sacrificing the quality of the image, for the purpose of improved website performance. Image optimization can be done in several ways such as resizing of images, caching them, using vector images or by compressing the image.
What are the advantages of Image Optimization?
Why is Image SEO important? you might be thinking. Image optimization or Image SEO is one of the primary things to do to improve the website’s loading speed and its performance.
- By optimizing images, you cut down the browser’s work and time of resizing and loading images, which helps in improving page load speed.
- The improved page speed can boosts websites’ SEO ranking, as page speed is one of the ranking factors and it also improves the user experience.
- As the ranking improves, there is more visibility and hence, more visitors to your site, which can enhance user engagement and boost conversions.
Below is the complete list of Image optimization Factors for Image SEO:
1. Use Right Image And Right Name
- Always use relevant images as per your content and use more of original images than stock photos especially when describing your work, products, and team.
- Also, use the right file name for your image instead of a random image name. This tells Google what is your image about without looking into it. It helps in driving traffic to your website.
For example, if you have an image of a sunrise seen through the window, then use image name/file name as sunrise-seen-through-window.jpg instead of DSC3214.jpg or anything as such.
2. Be wise with JPEG & PNG formats
- Use JPGs where you need to display photographs and high-quality images with lower sizes.
- Use PNGs for graphics, icons, and images that need transparency support, as they do not lose its quality like JPEG does when it is compressed.
3. Leverage Caption and Alt Text
- Alt tag is a very important image optimization factor as most search engines are text-based and cannot read images. Alt tags tell search engines what is the image all about. The main purpose of Alt tags/Alternate text is to give information about the image to the user when it can’t load for whatever reason and it was added specially for the blind people.
- Captioning images helps users to understand image better and also can be user engaging. Captions are also crawled by search engines like URLs. So, use captions as per the purpose.
4. Image Size Matters
Make sure, except for the larger images, the size of the images is below 1MB. Optimizing images by uploading that are the same size as they will be displayed is very much necessary. Images could be Cropped according to the screen parameter before uploading.
5. Use Right Image Compression Tool
We recommend not to use Gzip compression tool for compressing images as the image formats available in the web are already compressed and gzipping can hamper the quality, make images bigger and it is simply an extra work to CPU.
Use compressor.io or compressnow or other such tools for a non-Wordpress site. And for a WordPress site, there are various plugins like reSmush.it, WP Smush, etc.
6. Tell Image Size To Browser
Browser layouts the content around our images. Hence, it is recommended to always specify your image sizes to the browser as this can save from browser doing the additional work and it saves the loading time.
7. Avoid Image Hotlinking
Hotlinking images is the process of using images of one site, on pages of another site. This can steal the bandwidth of the hosting site and also can result in copyright issues. Hence, Avoid hotlinking images and also disable hotlinking of images on your site through the htaccess or web server (Apache) configuration.
8. Use Image Sitemaps
Wondering what is it? Using a separate sitemap for images or adding image information, i.e image-specific tags in your existing sitemap. This tells google about the information of the images in your site. Google has clearly mentioned its importance and how to implement it.
These are some of the important image optimization factors that we as a web design company implement and has witnessed effective results in terms of SEO. If you are finding difficult to implement them, please contact us and we are happy to Serve you. We are also recognized as one of the Top Notch end-to-end Web design and development company and Mobile app development company in India. Site Galleria believes in customer satisfaction and focuses on delivering high-quality products.
Site Galleria also provides the best SEO services in India. We have a team of skilled SEO professionals understand your business needs and goals and create a strategy to fulfill your business goals. We also do mobile SEO and also provide ASO services for your mobile apps.